Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Thursday Thoughts

Well, I've not done much the past couple of days, as I've been sick,. My doctor diagnosed me with a strep throat and allergies, and has put me on antibiotics, Allegra-D and some kind of nose spray. Didn't even make my class on Wednesday - though when I rang to tell them, they informed me that the class was cancelled anyway due to a store emergency. So I'm still no further with my hat. The next technique I need is "make one" - I've got 2/3 of the way with the instructions in Stitch'n'Bitch, but I'm still not sure how to "knit into the loop from the back" to twist the stitch. And I went to knittinghelp.com , only to be overwhelmed by about 5 different varieties of "make one". So that's still waiting. *sigh*. Shame, coz after that one row of increases, it's just stocking stitch for ages, so I could really be moving on it.

Still, even without the class, the knitting lessons I have learned since Monday include:

  1. Never knit after 11pm. You'll end up making stupid mistakes, and then having to unravel rows, and trying to re-capture stitches in the dark is tricky.
  2. Keep your crochet hook with you at all times. Running from the bedroom to the living room, trying desparately to save that loop, is not a productive means of rescuing your knitting
  3. Similarly, never knit anything more complicated than garter stitch when you're sick. The results are the same, except that your brain refuses to keep count of how many rows you've just ripped out, and you then have to peer at your knitting trying to figure out just where you are at.
Still, despite all that, I've now completed one repeat of the Wavy pattern - i.e. I'm 1/5 of the way through with the scarf. I'll wait with the picture until it's even more impressive, unless either of my readers put in a plea for photographic evidence.

We leave this afternoon for the Susquehanna Music and Arts Festival so I won't be posting until Monday at least. But hopefully I'll at least finish the funky scarf, and get more waves onto Wavy.

Have a great weekend, y'all.

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Kirsti~

Thanks for jogging over to my blogland even thogh you're not feeling well. What a trooper! Thanks also for correcting me on the link mishap, although there is a "Kristi Knits" blog, it was not the one i intended to link to. Whew! Got that fixed.

From your post today, i'm thinking maybe i shouldn't set to finish my lap blanket with this headache i have going on, but the Gemini in me has to have something to do, so what they hell!

Enjoy your musical weekend and blow kisses to Dar Williams for me!! LOVE her!

~Suz~

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

Don't ask me about add one. I haven't mastered that little trick yet. That's something I'd have to run to my MIL with except she knits Continental and I still knit English. I should learn to switch.

I'm with you about not knitting when tired. I've messed up more stuff than I like to think about because I was nearly nodding off while knitting.

Figure out add one and then let me in on the trick, okay?

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kirsti -
Welcome to Michigan! Have you experianced our Winters yet? Stock up now on your wool sweaters. I'm on your knit list with Sara. There is a Sheep and Wool Festival at Mt. Bruce May 21st
www.sheepstuff.com/
and one in Allegan, MI in August:
www.michiganfiberfestival.org/
I will be at both!!
Love to see you there.
- Ami in Michigan
aclipfell@yahoo.com

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, forgot. M1:
See that horizontal yarn that goes from one st to the next? Well, take the left needle and stick it (from front to back) under that strand and lift it up. Looks like a stitch doesn't it? Well, knit into the back of that strand. That's it.
Knitting into the back? Let me know if you don't know how to do this.
Take car - Ami in Michigan

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home