Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A good day for free stuff!

Well Monday was highly profitable in terms of knitting loot! Look at all this!





I stop off at City Knits on my way home from work to stroke the new sock yarn they were expecting (and which hadn't arrived), and ended up talking and making plans for a fair isle felted bag that I'll design... and as I was at the counter, I picked up and flicked through a new book that was displayed near the register...
And found this! A whole chunk of pages that were printed upside down. (It's clearer if you click on the thumbnail to see the whole image). I showed Lynn, who went to call the publisher. And I jokingly said that if they let you keep it, I want it! ... and a few minutes later she handed it to me. The publishers are sending her a replacement copy, and now of course, she has to go through the rest of the stock to see if this was a one-off. It's actually quite a neat little reference book, so I'm glad to get it and save $15.
Then I get to our Monday night SnB at Sweetwaters in Royal Oak, to find a new face ... Kristina, the woman who'd started the group way before I ever came along. It was wonderful to meet her, and see the amazing work she was doing on the Sunrise Circle Jacket from Interweave Knits. And, to say thankyou to Julie and myself for keeping the group going last year, when for a long time it was basically just Julie, myself and Coley, she'd brought gifts from her yarn stash. Look at these - aren't they pretty?
On the left are two balls of laceweight yarn. The grey one is the softest thing I've felt for a while, and the greeny-yellow one has this amazing slight boucle to it, and should be fun to knit up and see how it looks. On the right are three skeins of Cestari natural yarn, a 2 ply worsted weight, with approximately 210yds per skein. The amazing thing about this wool is that a) it was "manufactured exclusively by the sheep and shepherds of Chester Farms, Churchville VA", and b) it's still got all the lanolin oils in it. So it'll make your hands wonderfully soft when knitting with it.

OK Julie, it's up to you now.. let me know which one you'd like, and we can meet up to handover the yarn.
And the final, closing gift for the day.. was of course, this:


The Gold Medal for finishing in the Knitting Olympics. Nothing more really needs to be added.

At 11:17 AM, Blogger MiniLaura said...

yay! another knitter joins the Cestari bandwagon. I like this yarn a lot because it's machine washable. It's a bit pilly though. I'm curious to see how it wears over time.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Sally said...

Congratulations! I have a gold medal winning sister. I'm so proud. And free stuff is always good! You deserve it!

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Nik said...

I love that reference book and often suggest it to new knitters who have lots of little technical questions about knitting.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Oooh, free stuff is always so nice!!

My latest KnitPicks order arrived today so i'll have pics tomorrow!! Weeee!!

~Suz~

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

You, my dear, are having a swell day!

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Kat said...

Kirsti, that Gold Medal is so deserved, the sweater is unbelievable! It's just as pretty inside as out. The free stuff is like getting paid by your sponsor isn't it LOL? Way to go girlfriend!

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww shucks! Thanks for the great compliment. It was a pleaseure finally meeting you and I hope that I get to meet Julie someday and put another face to a name! I am going to try next week to come to the Wednesday group, so I hope to see you there.

 
At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmm... laceweight....

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger jodi said...

Hey Kirsti, can you e-mail me your mailing address? We have something to send you. . .

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home