Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Saturday, February 18, 2006

What I'm learning

Marilyn over at the Knitting Curmudgeon has challenged us Knitting Olympians to prove why joining 4,000 people in a time deadline isn't just sheep like behavior, resulting in nothing but progress reports.

So here's what I'm learning so far.

  1. I like knitting fair isle, even more so when it's small and intricate rather than chunky yarn like my earlier fair isle hats.
  2. How to keep my tension even, particularly tricky when some colours of yarn are much thinner/stickier than others, which are thicker and more fluffy.
  3. How to follow a fairly complex colour chart, without losing my place or row
  4. That working in ends as you go makes for much quicker weaving in, and that weaving the ends in every day is a lot less intimidating than leaving the ends to accumulate for a while.
  5. How to knit steeks - and, pretty soon, how to cut them
  6. An appreciation for generations of fair isle knitters who created these garments without the help of Addi Turbos, on really long double pointed needles.
  7. That none of my teddy bears will be big enough to model the sweater when done! (And, because of the way the sweater is designed, with really low armholes, I don't think I can find a small child with the correct body shape either! Though it would probably fit very badly on Oscar)
  8. To trust Matt in his choice of colourways. I'm actually really liking the browns and blues now.
  9. That I can be a fairly productive knitter, and there is more time for knitting in a day than I'd otherwise have imagined. So "I don't have the time to start a big project" is no longer a valid excuse.
  10. That I enjoy feeling connected to other knitters around the world. The deadline and finishing isn't as important to me as the process, and creating something beautiful that otherwise might have languished at the back of the cupboard for another 6 months.

Not too shabby for halfway through the games, eh? Still to come: cutting steeks, picking up a neckline and sleeves.

So now you've sat through all that rambling, here's the obligatory progress photos. Front and back, taken inside and outside today, while there's actually some sunshine here in Royal Oak.

I'm about 14 rows from the top of the sweater. When I reach there, I join the shoulders, knit some more ribbing for the neck and cut the neck steek. Then it's on to the sleeves. Not bad progress all in all. You can see the armhole steek stitches showing up quite clearly in both pictures, and, if I'd actually taken more time to read Matt's directions, I'd have outlined both ends from the beginning, and used blue (background colour) rather than brown. Oh well. It shouldn't make too much of a difference in the long run.

And now I'm going to see if I can't get another 3 or 4 rounds in before church this afternoon. I wish all other Olympic knitters a productive weekend!

At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

None of your teddy bears are the right size to model the sweater? Well then. That problem can be solved. What size bear would you need? :)

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Bridget said...

Wow, that is one impressive looking sweater. I do like the colors. Really like the way the turquoise pops out from the browns. Just wanted to let you know also that I put up a picture of the start of my Pomatomus if you want to check it out!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Helen said...

her blog made me mad. c'mon. just because you don't want to do it, doesn't mean you can call us all sheep or whatnot. grrr. but i couldn't make a comment on her blog because she would just poke fun. so she doesn't want to join this fun community. too bad for her. i see it more as our teams are concerned. we can stick together and also meet more people

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I like the colors and the design!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

I have a few comments...

I was going to suggest as it seems Awlison has, sort of, couldn't you get a new teddy bear? And if you need a specific size, is there one of those "create a bear" places near you??

I didn't read the grouch, errr...curmudgeon yet, and i might not, but if she doesn't want to join in the fun...I agree with Helen - "grrr" & Pooh on her!! It't not nice to call other people names, just because you don't agree with what they choose to do...but i digress.

Your progress is amazing, once again inspiring me to want to try Fair Isle...i'm afraid, very afraid!! LOL!!

I need to go work on my "Branching Out" i'm looking like a slacker compared to you!!

~Suz~

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

What's so bad about us joining in something together? Why isn't the comraderie enough? Why isn't the challenge to pick a project and finish it no matter how much you want to quit enough?

Does she think that every person going to the actual Olympics is there going for the gold? Does she think the cross country skiiers from Costa Rica and Thailand or the bobsled team from Brazil are there because they expect to hear their national anthems played? They're there because they want to be with others doing something they love to do. They're there challenging themselves, not being sheep and and saying "me too!" when it comes to participating.

I didn't care for her mocking tone nor the commenters who lined up to bray like donkeys laughing at what she wrote. Or maybe they were baaahing like sheep.

Well...no need it letting that stuff annoy me.

Kirsti, that sweater is so pretty. Your work gets more wonderful all the time.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Kirsti that is awesome! Love the colors, good choice. Can't wait for you to start the armholes..snip snip! ;-)....Marj

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's so gorgeous . . . are you sure you want to CUT it?? You are quite brave for taking on steeks. I can't wait to see your progress. Go Kirsti!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger sgeddes said...

Wow, what a wonderful job. It's beautiful.

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw your comment on my blog (JP and I had an actual DATE tonight!)...if you are a few streets over, my friend, bravely cutting those steeks, know that I'm with you, cheering you along!

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home