Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Hippo Beast is conquered...

..well, halfway at least. Yep, at SNB last night, I finished the first Pomatomus sock. I had to rip back about 2 inches, when it became clear that the toes were going to be much too long, and then have the frustration of picking the lace pattern back up. But I managed it, and here is the finished result:
Again, click on it for a larger picture. I'm really pleased with how it came out, and it feels really comfy too. So, of course, being rash and impetuous, I started in on the second one, with the plan of reversing the scale pattern. Here's progress so far:

I think I'm about 80% there, and probably should have swatched first ... but I wanted my finished sock! I realised that as well as reading the chart backwards, I'd need to change the "knit 2 together through the back loop" decrease into a "slip slip knit" or something ... but I'm not happy with how it's coming out. The scales and the edges aren't defined enough. Here's a comparison of both socks:
Part of it is the decrease; the other part is the twisted rib. If you look closely at the finished sock, the ridges formed by the "knit through the back loop" lie at an angle, with the right side higher than the left. This emphasises the longer curved edge of each scale, and makes the pattern stand out more. On my reversed version, I really want the left side to stand out, and I'm not quite sure how to do that. So I may very well end up playing around with some scrap yarn and see what I can come up with.

But it's still a very good feeling to have one finished. And in the meantime, I may just begin the Jaywalker with that wonderful Fire on the Mountain sock yarn.

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Dana said...

I can't tell you enough, I love love that sock, the pattern, the color-just gorgeous. But I see what you mean about the second one, it almost looks like it's inside out, cuz it's flat and not distinctive like the finished one. I'm sure you'll figure it out though, I have faith!

Great job!

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Kat said...

LOL, well I can see a slight difference but I'd be one not to sweat it because I'd want to wear them so badly. They're just absolutely gorgeous! I sure hope I don't get you as the sock pal I need to knit for because I think you'd be sorely disapointed in what I knit after the beauty of those! I love the color too.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Wow. The second sock looks really nice...until you put it next to the first one, i see what you mean. UGH! I'd be trying to figure out how to make it better too, i think it must be a part of the knitters curse...challenging ourselves to perfection all the time.

I can't wait to see how this specific knitting saga turns out ;) good luck, Kirsti!!

~Suz~

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Nic said...

They are lovely socks. I need to make socks this year!!! And I am finishing projects at the mo so maybe soon I can start.
Good luck with solving the second sock problem.
Nic
x

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

WOW! Just . . . WOW! The color, the pattern, they're just gorgeous! You've done a great job and I'm positive you'll figure out how to conquer reversing the pattern.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Well done!! Just to do the pattern as is would be challenging...but to reverse it? Yikes! Go forth brave knitter...:-)...........Marji

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

The socks are absolutely beautiful and I am sure you will figure out how to reverse the pattern, but why would you want to??? I would be too lazy ;)

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend Sharon said you were knitting the Hippo Socks!!! They are just gorgeous!!!I love the pattern - I love the scales and the sticky outty rib effect. I am only up to the third pattern repeat on sock 1 - I only started yesterday. I want Autumn to hurry up so I can wear them!!!

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home