Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Monday, December 19, 2005

General ramblings

Well, Christmas fast approaches, and I'm still frantically knitting. 4 pairs of fuzzy feet knitted, though the final 2 still need felting. 8 fair isle hats finished, 2 more done but needing the ends woven in, and one just on the needles as of 11pm.

I was once again the sole Stitch'n'Bitcher tonight at Sweetwaters ... but I did get a lot done - 2 1/2 hours on ..yep.. a hat. They're taking me about 3 hours to do, so I should be able to get 2 more finished before Christmas. And I think that'll be sufficient. (I really really hope so!)

Knitting the same pattern over and over has got me thinking about how I know I'm progressing as a knitter. A couple of things sprung to mind .. .speed being the obvious one. Since learning this two handed fair isle technique, I've been doing most of my knitting continental style (with the yarn in the left hand) which is definitely quicker, and less movement for my hands. The other is .. well, I'm not sure how to define it. But it's about being able to come up with creative solutions to knitting problems. The specific example is this: getting back to the fair isle hat knitting last week, I couldn't find my size 9 double pointed needles anywhere. And the pattern needs them as you decrease for the top of the hat - it gets too small to fit on the 16" circular needle. I didn't want to go out and buy another set (though I may end up doing that eventually) ... and rummaging through my shoebox of Addis, I found a 32" circular needle in the correct size.

So using what I'd learned doing the two socks on two circulars, I simply knitted half of the hat stitches onto the longer circular, and managed to knit the remaining half with the original 16". Then I simply kept knitting from one end of each circular to the other ... and managed to decrease the hat with no problems. And possibly slightly faster than if I were switching double points all the time.

I felt fairly proud of myself for figuring that out - applying a technique, problem solving, and getting the darn hat finished! And now I've boasted, it's back to hat number 13...

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

My MIL begs me to finally learn to knit continental. She can show me a ton of tricks if I would just learn to knit the way she does and I am so lazy that I won't practice and get it down.

I need to just force myself to practice and then I'll be glad I did.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Jacqui said...

That's great that you figured out a solution for the missing needles. I finished a hat last night and did the whole thing on one circ, using "magic loop" for the small bits at the end.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger CosmicWeb said...

Saw your posting about the S 'n B at Sweetwaters. Is that on Main in Royal Oak? I live a few blocks from there and didn't realize there was such a gathering? Can/would you fill me in on the details? Thanks loads, Dianne

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Kirsti said...

Hi Diane - if you're checking back here. Yep, we do indeed meet at the Sweetwaters on Main in Royal Oak, every Monday from around 7pm onwards. I won't be there this week, but will be on the 8th. Hope to see you there!

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home