Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Friday, November 18, 2005

More buying...


Well, I was trying to be good and use up my stash. But then I saw the pattern for these and couldn't resist. I've got a friend with a 1 year old who's been craving booties, so I'm hoping that these will fit. But aren't they cute? Little baby Uggs. And sorry Sal, I don't think I can scale them up to fit Oscar.

So I went out to Have You Any Wool? which is becoming one of my new favourite yarn stores, particularly since my friend Lisa started working there. I invested in the Borocco suede yarn to make these, and some Cascade 220 for a scarf, and some more Bazic to do yet another hat (blues and a maroon this time) ... and a book I've been thinking about getting for a while now.. The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns from Ann Budd. This gives you the maths for making just about anything, in any yarn, once you figure out your guage. This means (and Sal, this is for you) that I can make mittens for Oscar in the yarn that's left over from his sweater and hat.

The book will hopefully also fix the mistake I made a day or two ago, when I was trying to teach myself knitting two socks at once on two circular needles. I figured out the technique, had done the ribbing for the top of the sock, and was working on the leg ... when I decided that somehow, despite measuring my guage and my ankle, I was making these socks large enough to fit a small elephant. So they got frogged, and I'll try again, this time using the numbers from Ann Budd's book. I'd like to get the technique mastered soon, as there are a number of folk on my Christmas list to get socks.

Meanwhile, the mistake rib scarf is getting longer ... I'm about halfway through it now. It's looking nice, and I think that once I block it, it'll be even smarter. It's definitely both warm and soft. Now I just have to hope that Terry's dad will appreciate it.

For now, it's cast on time for those bootees... watch for progress updates!

At 12:15 AM, Blogger Kat said...

lol, Maybe the two elephants that were at the zoo could have used them before they got sent to California. Love the booties!

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't WAIT to see those booties! Kudos too on figuring out the two socks on two circs...the only weird part is the gussett, but it's just weird, not hard. Anyhoo, see you soon!!!!

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE those booties too, I have some green suede to make them with, for Christmas for my niece, as well as the matching hat. I delivered Miss Dashwood to her yesterday, need to get a pic of her in it though. I'll have to learn from you about sox on 2 circs, as I've confused myself beyond repair. I can't make SW tonight, but I'd still very much like the pattern for the Umbilical Hats, could you drop me a line with basics if you have time? Tks much!

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duh, this is Dana-it came out as Anonymous!

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home