Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Whole Lotta Felting Going On


Well, here's what I did this evening. The colours aren't quite right, but I don't have time to fuss with them before heading off to Stitch'n'Bitch tonight at the Caribou in Troy. 2 pairs of felted fuzzy feet, and 2 felted booga bags. I'm almost beginning to feel optimistic about this Christmas gift thing. Plus the red pair is finished but unfelted, and I've just started a red-and-green stripey pair. Hopefully I can at least get to the toe decreases by the end of tonight.


And, by popular request, here's the recipe for yesterday's cookies:

Chocolate Chews (from "How to Bake" by N Malgieri, given to me by Mary Fizzell who now has my undying gratitude.)
  • 8oz semisweet chocolate
  • 3oz unsweetened chocolate
  • 8T (1 stick) butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 2t vanilla
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 1/2t baking powder
  • 1/4t salt
  • 1 1/2 cups (about 9oz) choclate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups (about 6oz) chopped walnuts
  • 1 1/2 cups (about 6oz) chopped pecans

  1. Line cookie sheets with parchment or foil. Put sheets in the oven, and preheat oven to 325o.
  2. Melt chocolate and butter together. Stir occasionally. Cool.
  3. In mixer bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until lightened. Whisk in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
  4. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Kirsti's note - it gets really really thick at this point. Hand stirring a must.
  5. Drop tablespoon-size cookies onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 12-18 minutes, until cookies are slightly firm and cracked.
  6. Cool on pans. If you can let them wait that long.

Apparently they can be fozen too, packed between sheets of waxed paper. I was impressed by how easy a recipe it is, and how scrummy the results are. Mary also recommended for a plated dessert, making the cookies half size, and serving two of them on a plate with some good ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.

If you make them, let me know how they turn out!

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

Lovely felting! I adore the colours in that bright booga!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger jodi said...

Ooh, I really like the Booga in the brown tones. That's my favourite one yet. Also, can't believe how fast you are at these. I can't even get started on the fuzzy feet, the ginormous size daunts me.

Are you going to bring some of those cookies to my birthday party tomorrow? (hint. . . )

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Kat said...

Do I ever wish I was on your gift list LOL! A pair of fuzzy feet filled with chewy chocolate goodness would probably send me into dream world. Great job Kirsti, the gifts are beautiful.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger jodi said...

Hey hey! I didn't know it was Terry's birthday too! I hope she had a wonderful day, and that you two had a wonderful reunion!

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home