Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Olympics - Day 1

Well I cast on around 2:30pm, while watching the opening ceremonies. Some of the stuff seemed a little slow moving, but the "sparks" on rollerblades, the fireworks, the lighting of the flame itself, and Pavarotti were all rather impressive. And, speaking of impressive (heh), here's my Day 1 progress:


It's fun to be knitting fair isle again. This yarn is a lot more "grabby" than the Bazic I was using for the hats, which apparently is traditional for fair isle. Hopefully it also means that the steeks will "stick" easier. I'm glad I'm using Addi's though - I need all the needle smoothness and slippiness that they provide. It's definitely going to be a sweater for a large teddy bear - I've got one option of my childhood bear, Misha, who I got in Moscow for my very first Christmas. If it turns out too large for Misha, I may have to go "model shopping" closer to the end.

I did do some calculations, and I figure that if I can knit between 12 to 15 rows per day, AND work in the ends as I go, I should be on target to finish in time. Each round at the moment is taking me about 8 to 10 minutes, so that's basically 2 1/2 hours of knitting time per day. I got 16 rows done yesterday so I'm a bit ahead, but will have less time to knit on Sunday. Hope that all the other 3999 Olympic Knitters are doing as well!

At 1:22 PM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Ohhhh, Kirsti,that's gorgeous!!! WOW!!! It's so impressive.

I've frogged several times and then finally got through one repeat on "Branching Out" only to realize that i don't like the looseness of the needles i chose. I tested out smaller needles on a different hank of yarn before frogging the 15 rows that were finished and did indeed decide to switch needles. I just stopped to take a break while watching Women's Hockey...i've only got the initial 5 rows of garter done so far. Sigh.

The snow is starting here, we're due for up to 12 inches by tomorrow so needles to say i'll be cozied up and knitting all day.

Hope you and Terry are well and warm. ;)

~Suz~

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow, look at that, you Fair Isle Queen you! It's lovely already, can't wait to see it on Misha!

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Kat said...

OMG Kirsti! That is so beautiful I just stared at it for a minute or two. The backside looks as good as the front (in a different way). I sure would love to have a sweater that looked like that, but holy cow, it'd take a couple of years to make one my size LOL. It's fantastic and I have no doubt you'll get the gold!

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home