Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Short Row Heels

Well class last night was a success. A short row heel was created and finished, and I think I pretty much understand the technique. Then when I got home, I did the heel on the second sock. It's definitely much faster than the heel flap/pick up stitches technique, and I think I prefer how it fits my foot. Here's the results from the top, from the back and from the side:





The minor problem is that I think I'm picking up my wraps incorrectly on the knit side of the heel. I love how the purl side looks, but the knit side just isn't matching it. Here's a closer look:


The nice, neat purl side
The not-so-nice, not-so-neat knit side

If anyone's got any suggestions as to how to improve it, I'd be grateful. What I think I did ... when I was on the second half of the heel, I'd knit to the wrap, slip the wrapped stitch purlwise onto the right needle, use the tip of my left needle to pick up the two wraps, slip the stitch back onto the left needle, and then knit all three loops together. Then wrap the next stitch (which means there are now two wraps on that stitch) and turn. Should I have been using a slip slip knit type stitch instead to keep the picked up wraps and the stitch together? Or was I somehow missing a wrap, despite being really careful to pick up the two wrap loops. I can't decide whether it's worth frogging and re-doing the heel, or just leaving it as it is, and trying again on the next pair.

I need to make a decision fast, coz this is the only knitting I have with me for the Red Wings hockey game tonight!

At 4:17 PM, Blogger Dana said...

I found this site for you-it might make more sense to you since you're all up in the short row heels. If it works for you let me know, cuz then I'll refer to it if I ever try short row heels.

Have fun tonight, we'll miss you at 'bou!!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Dana said...

http://www.socknitters.com/Tips/shortrow.htm

Helps if I actually include the link-sorry!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Looks good to me! Sounds a tad confusing though, I'm sure I'll need tutoring when it comes time for me to tackle it. Have fun tonight! Marj

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

ACK! Okay, it's offical now. I don't want to learn to knit socks. You just made my head explode! Heh!

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the method that Priscilla Gibson-Roberts uses in Simple Socks Plain and Fancy. Unfortunately, I can't describe it in words, you need to see a couple pictures. So I would recommend finding the book.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Kat said...

I like both sides very much, too bad it can't be both sides looking either way but matching eh? I really want to learn how to do short row heels but right now I'll stick with the flap because it's suposed to be "heartier". LOL Kids need that in everything they wear. Your socks are incredible.

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home