Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Hopefully this post will stay...

Well I tried twice on Saturday to post about Mick Jagger and a red scarf knitted by my friend Lisa and the superbowl halftime show, but seeing as Mick never wore the scarf anyway, it's not too much of a disaster that blogger seemed to eat both of the posts.

Had a great time at SnB last night, and feel like I'm making good progress on the Jaywalker sock.

Here's its current state. Heel is turned, and the sock is back on the two circulars. Because of the curl to the stockinette, you can't quite see, but I'm about half an inch into the gusset decreases. I was glad I'd borrowed Amby's copy of Cat Bordhi's "socks soar on 2 circular needles", because I wasn't quite sure how you picked up the stitches after the heel turn. I like the sideways arrangement, and it's definitely going faster than the double points.

And, in a wonderful suprise, the doorbell rang on Saturday, and I found a box containing....
2 skeins of the most wonderfully soft, bulky wool from Wool in the Woods. It's 200 yards per skein, 17 stitches/22 rows to 4" on size 9 needles ... and was a gift from the amazing Poppy. I'd helped out my sister and her Yaya friends with a suprise gift for another Yaya who lives nearby, and this was my completely unexpected 'thank you'. I've got strict instructions to make something for myself, so I'm thinking some kind of shawl, with lots of lacy yarnovers to show off the gorgeous colours. If anyone knows a pattern, I'd be glad to get some suggestions! Anyway, thank you Poppy - it was above and beyond, and I'm very very grateful.

Tonight is my next 2 socks/2 circs class at City Knits - time to start the short row heels. Apparently, we're not allowed to leave until we've completed at least one heel. I didn't bother with pictures of the socks so far, because they're basically just like the previous post only slightly longer, with 11 pattern repeats. But tomorrow ... they'll hopefully look very different. I won't be SnB'ing on Wednesday night, because Terry and I have got tickets to go see the Red Wings play. (That's the Detroit ice hockey team for any non-americans reading.) But I'll be bringing my socks and knitting during the game - hey, it might be cold in the arena, right? Got to have yarn to keep me warm.

And now to work. Time to start the countdown til 6pm and sock class!

At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You earned that yarn, Kirsti! So glad you like it.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so jealous! Going to a Red Wings game? I'll be watching on tv so I'll look for you! ;)

The socks look great and that yarn is just gorgeous!

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Dana said...

The socks are coming along nicely, I can't wait till they're finished. Have fun tomorrow night, no poking anyone with your needles though, they might frown on that!

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

:::coughdeadwingscough:::

I'll be cheering for the *other* team, whoever they are!! The Dead Wings are our chief rivals!!

But, have a great time!! ;)

~Suz~

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

I am so digging those socks! You make the most beautiful stuff.

Poppy's a gem, isn't she? That yarn is gorgeous.

 
At 4:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought a skein of Fire on the Mountain ... and I blame you. ;) Lovely socks!

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home