Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Onto the sleeves

Well, progress has been slower than I'd have liked, due to this strange thing called "real life" getting in the way. I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish in time for the gold medal - but I certainly don't regret tackling Threadybear at all.

Especially as.... I cut the first armhole steek last night. (Cutting the neck steek doesn't really count as it was only 3 stitches wide). Sadly I don't have pictures of me doing the Actual Deed, but here's the garment so far:


The back of the sweater, showing the completed pattern, and ribbed neckline.
The front neckline - it's slightly lower than the back. And look at the wonderfully neat stranding inside!
And here it is. The armhole. I'm only about 2 rows into the sleeve so far, but the steek has already nicely folded itself inside the arm. It was a tad scary (and yes, that's British understatement), but so far, it's all holding together!

I'll be at SnB at Caribou tonight, and Terry's working very late, so I can at least get 4 hours or so done then. Plus I have Friday off work, and Saturday morning... so we'll see how it goes. And yes, to Andy and Suz and all the other people who've asked, I will be going bear shopping for a suitable model.

Thanks to everyone for all your comments and support, and discussion on the Curmudgeon's post I linked to in the previous entry. If you do read her blog, you'll see that she did "eat crow" and realise that the Knitting Olympics is not necessarily a 'sheep' thing, and that many people, including me, are getting a lot of good out of it.

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Diane in Chico said...

It's looking good. At least one bear is going to be very well dressed :-)

The first steek I did was in a bear sweater. It's a thrill.

... this from Diane in Chico, CA, who is doing NOlympic knitting.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Helen said...

yeah, she did eat crow. but...i still found her condescending. as in, 'well, ok. so maybe all those people just NEED TO BE TOGETHER TO GET ANYTHING DONE' (emphasis mine lol) like she was still putting it down by saying we had to be part of a group. grrr. she gets my goat. yet i still read her blog *shrug* then she was just like, ok. we're done discussing that.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Dana said...

Can't wait to see it tonight, it's looking gorgeous!! Lucky Bear!

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kirsti, that is looking so beautiful, I really admire your talent with Fair Isle! I will have to beg/bribe you to teach me sometime. And I'll second Dana's comment...it's a lucky bear who gets to wear such a work of art...we'll have to make him/her the Team Detroit mascot!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you for being brave enough to try steeks. You deserve a medal just for that! It's looking great!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

Kirsti, it's terrific looking! I'm so very impressed!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Kirsti, as always, i'm inspired by your wonderful wool works!

I put down my crochet hook and took up my knitting needles after almost 30 years of non-knitting because i stumbled onto your blog almost a year ago...and now you're causing me to want to try Fair Isle knitting!! HOWEVER, i'm so sure i'd much rather try Fair Isle if i could find a class somewhere for my first outing!!

Oy!

Keep up the great work!

~Suz~

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home