Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Friday, September 09, 2005

Socks, socks and more socks

So here's the photos I promised yesterday. I stopped by the Ferndale Stitch'n'Bitch last night - Michelle, I missed you! There was only one other person there, but I did get an inch or two onto the new sock. Which will be coming up in a moment. But first, the finished pair of pairs:


Here are Terry's turquoise socks - my very first pair. They're a little small for her, and the heel flap is a little too short. But I'm pleased with how they turned out anywy.
These are my finished broadripple pair, though the colour isn't quite right - it's less yellow-y and definitely brighter. Click on the thumbnail for a larger version where you can see the lace pattern more clearly. Really fun to knit, even with the stretchy Cascade Fixation yarn.

Full information on those socks are in my Finished Object blog. And here is the current pair (well, single if we're being precise...):
Can you see how the ribbing is sort of forming these little squares? I gave the pattern in the previous post - basically you knit two rounds in k2 p2 ribbing, followed by two rounds in k2 p2 stockinette. I'm onto the heel flap, and hope to get onto the foot by the end of today. I'm playing flute at a wedding this afternoon, which will cut into my knitting time, but it should be relatively fast knitting from here on.

Have a great weekend! We're off on vacation to Provincetown next week, from Tuesday til the following Monday. I'll be taking a bunch of knitting with me - socks, of course, and probably the long-neglected Wavy scarf to finish. This'll be Terry's first vacation this summer, and we're really looking forward to the time alone together. We'll be staying with her sister and sister's partner, who have a summer house in P'town. I've never been out to the cape before, but love being near water. If anyone knows of any yarn stores around there, or anything else fun to do .... leave me a comment!

At 12:41 PM, Blogger Kat said...

What a great post, socks and a vacation....! I've been out east once so can't tell you anything much except I REALLY liked Salem Mass. and I highly recommend eating lots of fresh lobster, if you do eat lobster... well you know, I don't know your eating preferences. But if you do, it's so much better there. lol Sounds like a wonderful trip, I hope you all have much fun.

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look wonderful!!! There have got to be some wonderful little yarn shops in that area...I lived in Maine for seven years and you can find some really nice, quaint, uniquely New England-type shops. Take lots of pictures!!! :-)

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hihi, i love your socks, i never manage to make two socks i make one then get tired with it and it ends up as a lone sock, so i use the socks as sleeping bags for my tigers, they are small tigers and socks are the perfect size for them
also i LOVE fixation yarn it is sooo nice,
have you ever thought of making leg warmers and wrist warmers? they are really fun to make

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger weaselrina said...

I'm so jealous! Your socks look GREAT.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Ohhhh, PTown!!! How i miss you, how i love thee!!!

Deb's never been, but i'd gone twice with my ex while i lived out in MA, both times for Womna's Week in October. Mmmmmm, Women's Week!

So anywhoooo i have a PTown Live Cam bookmarked so sit on the benches in front of the Town Hall, call my cell, look left & up and wave!! Heehee!!

You must go to Passions Gallery and look at Judy Francesconi's works...they are amazing! And if you go to the Vixen...have one for me!

Have a wonderful vacation!!

~Suz~

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are great socks -- I love the way the colours create all those patterns. Socks are such fun!! But ----
"you knit two rounds in k2 p2 ribbing, followed by two rounds in k2 p2 stockinette---"
Now, that is very strange! How can you do stockinette with k2 p2?? That is just ribbing, isn't it? Unless you know something I don't!
Tallguy

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are a sock knitting fiend! All your socks look fantastic! Have a wonderful time on your vacation. I'll miss you in chat.

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home