Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Monday, August 22, 2005

Safely Back!

Well, I made it back home, safe and sound. The British Airways flight was slightly delayed, and had no hot food, no alcohol and no ice for drinks (and warm tomato juice just isn't the same as a nice chilled bloody mary mix...), but at least it got me back to Detroit. Sadly, the sore throat that had started on Friday morning didn't go away, and by Saturday it hurt to swallow, and my temperature was up at around 101. So I spent the weekend resting, sleeping and taking lots of paracetamol, and it seems to have worked: I'm feeling much better today, and back at work.

I had the most wonderful visit with my sister. She's just an amazing person, and I'm incredibly lucky to be related to her. She's doing a great job as a mum too, and Oscar is simply the most adorable, talented, brilliant child out there. (OK, I think my auntly bias may be showing a bit!). Sal, thank you for a wonderful visit. I'm glad to be your friend as well as your sister.

Knitting news ... I stocked up on some yummy Rowan yarn, but sadly, failed to find Addi Turbos over there. I was hoping that they'd be cheaper in Europe, but neither John Lewis or Liberty carried them, and I didn't have time to hunt around any more than that. No photos, so I'm borrowing from the Rowan website:





This is All-Seasons cotton in Glad and Grape. I got three skeins of each colour. It's 60% cotton, 40% acrylic, and although the website says "aran weight", I'm going to attempt to make it into socks - I've got a pattern from City Knits that does socks in all sizes from all weights of yarn. We'll see how that goes. I also got some other rowan yarn, single colour stuff, but I can't remember which it was (d'oh!) and the yarn's at home, so I'll have to update that later.
The other wonderful thing about this trip was that my mother gave me the wicker basket that my grandmother - her mother - used to keep her yarn in. It's lovely - shallow, and broad, so that the yarn stacks up really nicely in there. She also had some old knitting needles that she'd found in a junk store, and passed those on to me as well. Plus, when we were out browsing through a market, I found a couple of knitting pattern booklets from the 1940s/1950s, which are just hilarious. I may scan a couple of the patterns in. There is one hat that Terry thinks might just be on the edge of "hip and trendy" again now, so I may try knitting one up and see how it goes.

So apologies for the lack of pictures - I'll take a photo of the yarn basket with all my new goodies once I have more time back home. In the meantime, go and enjoy some of the pictures of Oscar that I took during my trip.

At 2:16 PM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

So glad you're safely home, we sure missed you around here! Glad you had such a fun time with Sally & Oscar...the photos on Sal's site are so much fun.

I can't wait to see a pic of your basket and other goodies, how wonderful to receive those items.

~Suz~

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey babe...glad you're home and glad you're feeling better. when you get a chance, email me with the number of your pdoc because mine is fired. :)

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

Glad you're home safe and sound! Sorry you got sick but I love the new goodies you've came home with!

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home