Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Home safe

And thank you to everyone who commented while I was away. The trip went pretty smoothly overall, despite a rocky (ooh, a Colorado pun!) start. I got to the airport at 11am for a 12:30 flight ... only to find that the first leg of my journey, a flight to Chicago, had been cancelled. Ooops. The best they could do was book me on the direct flight to Denver that didn't leave until 5:55pm. I thought about heading back home, but I'd already left the car at the parking structure and taken the shuttle, and there was roadworks .. so I decided it was too much hassle, especially because I had my knitting with me.

So I cast on for, and finished just as we landed in Denver, another Potato Chip scarf from the Trendsetter Dune I bought at Threadbear. This time I cast on 95 stitches, rather than the 90, so ended up with 780 to bind off. But it meant I had less yarn left over. However, I don't think that I could have fitted a single extra stitch on the 32" needles. Here is the scarf artistically draped in my Colorado hotel room:

On the entertainment center
And on the desk lamp.



Here is the view from my hotel room window - and yes, that is snow on the peaks of those mountains. I was staying at Beaver Run resort in Breckenridge, which is a fairly large complex, with condos as well as hotel rooms, and a conference center. And outdoor hottubs and swimming pools. If you want to see more photos, I've uploaded a whole bunch to my flickr account.

The conference itself was intense: a day and a half of pretty much the world experts in the field of mild and unilateral hearing loss getting together, sharing the knowlege-base so far, and then brainstorming all kinds of recommendations for everything from screening for this kind of hearing loss, to diagnosing it in young infants, to the pros and cons of hearing aids and other amplification systems, to early intervention services. I was asked to give a talk on the Tuesday afternoon, and it went OK - I was very nervous, and got a horrible case of dry mouth, so I talked way too fast, but people were kind and said nice things about it afterwards. Tuesday evening I ended up at dinner with the crew from the Center for Disease Control's hearing screening program, who'd organized the conference. Last night, I tagged along with 7 of the other conference attendees.

This was taken as we all were walking in to the downtown area of Breckenridge. As we walked along the river, I was oooh-ing over the pine covered mountains ... and then spied a singer tuning his guitar by the river, with all these old looking town buildings in the background. Just too perfect a composition not to take a photo. It's worth clicking on the larger version so that the guitarist isn't just a blob in the middle of the shot.

Dinner was great fun - we ended up at Bubba Gumps, where I had yummy New Orleans shrimp - just the right amount of spice, and a delicious sauce. And a local wheat beer from a microbrewery nearby, which was the perfect accompaniment.


So the flight home was uneventful: I did a good five inches or more on the Aggressive Beginners scarf and am almost finished with the first skein of yarn, so I'm now a third of the way through it. It's actually becoming close to mindless knitting for me now.

And then I get home ... and as per Suz's comments, there was indeed a box waiting for me. She was only meant to send a check to cover the yarn cost of the Booga Bag ... but, sweetie that she is, she'd mailed me the most yummy smelling "Juicy Ripe Watermelon" candle. I could smell the fragrance even as I was opening the box. An unexpected, but much appreciated, gift. Here's the candle and card:

A very nice gift to come home to. (And yes, for you eagle-eyed observers, that is indeed one of our wedding pictures in the background.) Now I'm off to catch up on everyone else's blog entries, and throw some comments around as I feel inspired. Hopefully Terry's on her way home soon, so we can enjoy dinner together.

At 11:13 PM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Heehee!! Welcome home!!

Wow, it sure is beautiful where you stayed and oh my you got a lot of knitting done!!

Now that i'm registering what the conference was about, I'm reminded that my nephew, London - had ear surgery when he was quite young. We all sort of noticed that he did not respond to you unless he was looking right at you and for a while we thought he was just being onery and ignoring us or being shy with those of us he didn't see too often, but it ended up that he had some hearing trouble and i don't know all of the details, i'll have to ask my sometime-to-be-sister-in-law more details about his specific case...whatever it was, he's had at least two surgeries and i know he has tubes in his ears and he seems to hear much better since that time and he's caught up with his language skills and everything. He just turned 6 and is a real chatter box!!

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Welcome home!

I just realized as I read your post about Colorado that I never responded to your question about whether I live close to Breckenridge. I live several hours away, which is probably why it slipped my mind to email you. If I lived close to where your conference was, I'm sure I would have remembered to make plans to meet up with you!

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home. Have I told you how much I enjoy reading your blog? Used to live in CO-Golden-spent lots of time hiking in Breckenridge area...built a small dam on a stream..oh the memories.lol
Wedding pix-WOW!You both wore gowns.That would be my fantasy, but Tracy prefers stylish pants/jacket or something to dresses. Without going thru all the entries-when did you get married? Where? We can here legally,but geez,will lose insurance...not fair.
Happy for you two tho'!!!
Sharon in MA

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

Welcome home! Sounds like it was a productive trip all around!

Dang. Wish I could see your wedding picture better. It looks pretty!

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Heck, gowns? Deb and i didn't even wear white! We had an Autumn wedding so my dress was rust colored and her pant suit was brown corduroy. LOL!!

I would never horrify people by putting this body in anything white!!

~Suz~

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Doggon it, Michelle...i tagged her too!!! Sheesh!!

~Suz~

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home! That candle looks very very yummy. I'd almost, almost ask if you wanted to trade for a few of the hand-poured vanilla ones I've got around the house...

I totally agree with Kathy about the presentation. I find that I am much harder on myself than anyone else is. I've also found that if people are watching and listening with the goal of evaluating your presentation per se, then they'll notice things like nervousness; if instead they're listening to the content, which is the purpose of a talk like this, you'll practically have to start speaking in Sanskrit to get them to notice the form.

Remember, you're very good at what you do!

-- Andy, no account yet

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Kat said...

Love the scarf Kirsti! Glad you are back, and what I can see of your wedding photo you both look beautiful!

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Monty Bridges said...

Thankk you for being you

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home