Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

After a long absence...

... I return with yet another photo-less post. I'm sorry. But I figured that you'd rather at least hear something from me than another day without a knitting report.

So.. let's see. Top Secret Project 3 is done and off the needles. TSP 2 had to be frogged and restarted last weekend; then I took it to Stitch'n'Bitch on Monday and wasn't paying enough attention ... and didn't realise until I was packing it up at the end of the group that I'd made a fairly visible mistake in the pattern 6 rows back.

So I took it in to Lisa at City Knits on Tuesday morning (I was waiting outside when they opened at 11 - how sad is that?), and she said the easiest way would be to unknit stitch by stitch, row by row. Thankfully, she also showed me a neat way to hold the yarn that made it a lot faster. So the mistake is now fixed, and I'm back on track to make this the most fabulous thing ever.

I also cast on for Branching Out, got to row 3 of the lace pattern and messed up. Ripped it all out, cast on again, got to row 5 of the lace pattern before messing up. So that one's staying put away at least for a little while.

Suz's Booga Bag is progressing nicely. Two skeins of yarn have been knitted, and I've just started making the I-cord for the handles. I'm aiming to have it done and felted by the end of this week.

I took the Aggressive Beginners scarf with me today to the Detroit Habitat for Humanity Jimmy Carter Work Project 2005, where they're building 30 new houses in seven days. Terry and I were performing during the lunch break for 2000 volunteers with the Broe Rehabilitation Center Therapy Choir - a choir made up of people with traumatic brain injuries or addiction problems, and the staff from the Rehab Center. They're not the greatest singers, but they are definitely an inspiration. Singing helps them with their speech and language, as well as giving them self confidence and a feeling of accomplishment. Terry and I interspersed the choir songs with solo numbers. We were hoping that President Carter and Govenor Granholm would come into the main tent for the performance, but they stayed in the smaller VIP tent next door. Still, hopefully some of the sound drifted through. And it was great to give the volunteers some entertainment during lunch. Plus I got about another 2 inches done on this never-ending scarf. I took it coz it's my only project on wooden needles at the moment, and I thought the metal ones might be a security risk. But no security checkpoints at all.

And finally for today ... the Metro Times article on our local Stitch'n'Bitch group is finally published! OK, so they misspelled my name slightly, but Natalie did a great job. And last Monday we had 11 people .. so maybe by next week we'll be taking over the store!. Last Monday was also great because I got to meet Jodi Green, designer of the inspirational Mariah hoodie. She got the bus over from Canada, I picked her up downtown and dropped her back afterwards. She's a very fun person to hang out with, has some amazing tattoos and creates great knitting too. Hopefully she'll make it across the border another time or two before she heads off to school in Georgia.

At 4:35 PM, Blogger Kat said...

That's a great article, how cool it is to be in Metro Times. I'm seriously thinking I need to start a knitting group here in Brighton. Hope things are starting to slow down for you!

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Thanks for linking to the article!

I can't believe you had the nerve to chastise me for no pictures! Look at you, you no photo blogger, you! :)

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

I agree with Katherine on starting a knitting group...i need to see if there's one here in NW Indiana or not. I need another excuse to go out. Heehee!!

I'd been thinking that Michelle and i were the only one's alive and posting...well dang woman, now i know why!! You and the wife have been very busy! Now i feel like a heel....well, ok not too much!!

It's really neat that you Gals were on hand to offer entertainment for that HFH Project! And here i thought i was doing great community work by cooking for Jonathon and our Irishman, Matthew...you win!

Glad you took a breath to post, i missed ya. ;)

~Suz~

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't give up on Branching Out. I frogged it so many times I lost count! Once the lace pattern clicks for you it will be smooth sailing. I had never followed a chart before, but found the chart easier to use than the written out instructions. I ended up enlarging it and marking the different stitches with different color highlighters. Keep at it!

 
At 2:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - might you have time to drop by the MUD sometime? Yes, that MUD. We are not stalking you - This came up from a search on your name looking for a working email address for you.

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home