Kirsti Knits

Time - such a precious Gift is it; To work, to read, and Yes, to knit. - Minnie Gertz

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Wednesday evening and all is good

So, to update from my earlier post... firstly, I finished my Wavy Scarf! The details are over in my Finished Objects blog, but here's a picture so you can gaze and marvel!



At class, I carried on working on the aggressive beginner scarf (grrr), learned how to unknit rows to fix mistakes, and how to pick up dropped yarnovers. They're all so friendly in that store. Wednesdays and Mondays are definitely my favourite nights of the week.

I bought the size 13 Addi Turbos for the Potato Chip scarf, and swapped the stitches over. So here's what this looks like at the very beginning. 90 stitches there now. It'll double on each row, hence the need for circulars.



I made the mistake of only getting one skein of the Dune yarn, before re-reading the forum post and discovering it needs two. So, luckily, I found an ebay auction and bought 3 more skeins so I can have two of these scarves. They seem fairly quick to make - about 4 or 5 hours - and will also be good for the Christmas/Birthday gift stash.

Here's the Booga Bag, with artistically arranged i-cord (and yes, that really does stretch out to over 5 feet. It reaches Terry's nose. I checked).



I think I'm going to unravel the remains of the skein of yarn, and start joining it from the other end. This will mean that I don't get an abrupt jump in colour, coz the i-cord used up all the matching pink/purple/blue joining yarn. It'll mean that the stripe pattern will sort of reverse itself from where it is now as you go up the bag, but it should still look alright. Other suggestions? Comments?

And finally... for my next City Knits project, Lisa suggested that I start a sweater. (She's a bad, bad influence. Worse than I am on Dixie and Suz. Honestly.) I wanted to do the chunky cable one from Stitch'n'Bitch, but saw this wonderful worsted weight yarn in their sale bin, so the yarn won out over the sweater design. Besides, I'm not sure that a chunky sweater would be the most flattering thing on my somewhat chunky frame.

If you go here and click on through the patterns, it's the pink hoodie on the right when you reach the 9th click. My first choice is the sweater on the left two clicks later. We'll need to adjust the stripes, because they didn't have quite enough of the contrast colour yarns, but that's absolutely fine with me. My breasts are prominent enough without them needing to be highlighted with a stripe.

So what all this is leading up to.. is that I now have a HUGE yarn stash! See? It's by an Italian company, di.vé, and the yarn is called "Winter'. The green is colour 1211, the soft blue is 1215 and the grey is 1202. They've all got sort of shiny reflective strands spun in with the mohair. I have 15 skeins of the green, 3 of the blue and 2 of the grey.

.

It doesn't look so bad here, until you realise that the City Knits bag is full of another 11 skeins of green yarn. Oops. I said I wasn't going to do this. At least everything I have is assigned to a definite project. That's still OK, right?

What does this say about my priorities? I come home, get the camera out, pose and photograph the yarns, crop and resize the pictures, write blog entries here, here, and here. Haven't even brought the mail in. So now, at 9:45, I need to make myself some dinner.

At 11:15 PM, Blogger Jay said...

Oh my! All the yarn!! You must bring some on Monday!

And huzzah for Wavvy! I gave up on mine, my yarn was too thin, so I'm looking to alternatives right now.

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

I love that shade of green on the Wavy scarf!

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Ooooh, the yarn you bought is gorgeous!! I'm having yarn-envy!!

I'm about 1/3 finished with Syd's poncho...but i fear that i may break down and cast on some socks today!! Someone, please, help me!!! Hold me back!!

Wavy is so cute!! Does it have a girlfriend yet? I might be able to fix it up with Poncho. Heehee!!

~Suz~

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Kirsti said...

Hee. I'm sure Wavy would love a girlfriend. And you need to decide if you want to be a monogmous knitter or not. Me, I'm definitely heading down the path of becoming a complete project-slut.

But socks are little, and portable and easily finished. Right? *innocent look*

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

Oh I love that yarn!! You are so much more an adventuresome knitter than I am!

 

Drop a stitch

<< Home